Warning! These are not a healthy treat, I’m sure a healthy version can be made, but these as they are are ooohhh soooo good 🙂 They can be made any colour you choose, I just chose thanksgiving type colours, since it fit the occasion. They are so cute and you will be sure to get loads of compliments on you “baking skills” 😉
Everyone needs a naughty treat every once in a while!
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sift your flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together your butter and sugar. I used my kitchen aid mixer, and left it on medium speed for around 3 minutes.
3. Then, add in your eggs and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and beat on low.
4. Gradually mix in your dry ingredients with the ingredients in your mixer. Once all has been added, it should resemble a dough like consistency.
5. Separate your dough in half, colour half one colour ( I use gel food colouring to colour) and the other half another colour.
6. Roll out one half of dough that has been coloured and use anything that you can find around your house that is circular in shape to cut out small cookies. I used the lid of glass milk jar, since it has 2 rings on the lid and was a nice small cookie shape. Then I used a toothpick to make two circles in the middle of each cookie. Repeat with the second half of different coloured dough.
7. Place your “button” cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
MAKES LOADS OF BUTTON COOKIES 🙂